15 Oct FIRST HALF VS SECOND HALF
Finishing well is really what matters. Consider any professional sport – most games are won or lost in the second half. So it is with life.
Typical first half pursuits and challenges include:
- Obtaining an education
- Getting married or building relationships with friends
- Building a career and striving to move upward, trying to provide for the family. Having good intentions
- Acquiring material things to help make life’s journey more comfortable
- Juggling many priorities – how to be with friends and family yet expend oneself in the adventure of building a career
- Experiencing pain: divorce, addiction, guilt, loneliness, wayward children, job loss, illness, etc
- Determining what you have to work with – your gifts, abilities, knowledge, experiences
- Choosing challenges and new horizons that fit the game plan
- Marching ahead, pursing the goals and playing hard
- Trying to figure out what to believe sprititually. Developing a beleif system.
- Getting involved in activies and figuring out how life works
Typical Halftime Questions and Issues include:
- What shoudl I do with what I’ve learned? Have I done enough – in my family, my community, my church?
- Am I able to devote more time to the peopel who are most important to me? To help them become all they can be? To reach out to others?
- Are these long hours really worth the price? And now that I’m here, is this where I want to be? I want more than success, I want significance. I’m successful, forutnate and yet frustratingly unfulfilled.
- I may have lived more than half my life. What am I going to leave behind of lasting value? Do I really need more stuff?
- What’s really important? Maybe it’s time to take a breather and reevaluate things. How would I like my life to be different?
- How can I use the great learning experiences I’ve had and wisdom I’ve gained to make a difference in this world?
- I know quite a bit about what I have to work with – now it’s time to choose strategically how to use what I have.
- Now I can build on the past to creat new challenges, new horizons that reflect my new goals and to discover what it means to be open to what I am uniquely designed to do.
- I just can’t keep playing the game the way I’ve been playing. But I want the second half of my lfie to be even better than the first.
- I want to figure out what to do with what I believe. I want my faith to be lived out through action that is built on my faith, values and beliefs.
- I dare to beleive that what I ultimately leave behind will be more imporant than anything I could have achieved during the first half of my life.
It’s time to build a plan for the next 20-30 years of your life!